Saturday, January 06, 2007

my Hottest 100 votes

After much deliberation, and culling of my 60-song shortlist, these are the 10 extra-special songs I voted for.

Antiskeptic - Dancing On The Inside
Just great.

Ben Folds - Such Great Heights (Like A Version)
Sweet piano take on Postal Service's song.

Jens Lekman - Your Arms Around Me
What can I say? Jens is awesome.

Justice Vs Simian - We Are Your Friends
So I am I. The video was one of the year's best.

Muscles - One Inch Badge Pin
Nice, very nice.

Panic! At The Disco - The Only Difference Between Martyrdom & Suicide
The best song off one of, if not THE, album of the year.

Peter Bjorn & John - Let's Call It Off
This one makes me want to jive.

Sodastream - Twin Lakes
I love Sodastream.

Youth Group - Forever Young
This song means 2006.

The Zutons - Why Won't You Give Me Your Love
The dance-fighting gangs of this song's video are awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Ben Folds Postal Service cover is great, which, along with the Iron & Wine cover, makes 2 great covers of that song.

Jens, too, is awesome. As are Sodastream, and I was very distressed I couldn't fit them into my top 10. But I feel a sense of duty to most of the bands I voted for, and as I haven't yet bought Reservations, Sodastream were just squeezed out. Also, have been reading too much Gilbert & Sullivan, which has heightened said sense of duty.

But I can't get into Panic at the Disco, I'm sorry, they just make me want to...set myself on fire! (That's not true, but I couldn't think of a better way to describe my dislike, and I wanted to make the Arrested Development reference. Of course.)

As for Youth Group, I think my problem with Forever Young is that they've seemingly tried to give a cheesy 80s song credibility, and with lyrics like that, I think it will only ever be a cheesy 80s song to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Also, a question - do you think Youth Group anticipated that they would be one-hit wonders when choosing their name, or just weren't thinking too far in advance? What happens if they are still playing together in their 30s and 40s, even beyond? Doesn't seem likely, but I paraphrase a quote from a film I can't remember (is it possibly from Spinal Tap? It's been too long since I watched that film!): "If you think Mick Jagger's still going to be rocking out at 50, you'd be crazy."

And with that, I'm going to go watch Spinal Tap.